Interested in the purported health benefits of Tribulus?
You’ve come to the right place.
Let’s dig right in and start with a review of some of the basic facts. After talking about the health and sexual benefits, we’ll also discuss healthy doses to take and where you can buy it.
First, a little background information…
Land caltrops, or Tribulus terrestris, is a flowering shrub belonging to the family of Zygophyllaceae, also known as the caltrop family. The annual plant is characterized by the spines that cover its fruit. This is why it is also known as puncture vine. The name Tribulus terrestris is derived from the Greek “tribulos” meaning “water chestnut.” It is also known by its Hindi name gokharu and bai ji li in Chinese. Its other names include bindii, bullhead, burra, goat’s head, cat’s head, devil’s thorn, devil’s eyelashes, and tackweed.
Tribulus terrestris grows in many parts of the world and is in fact considered an invasive plant. It is, however, native to southern Asia, southern Europe, Australia, and Africa. It thrives in warm climates and tropical areas. It is known to grow even in arid places with poor soil.
The whole Tribulus terrestris plant is used for medicine, though the fruit, seeds, and roots are most commonly used. The plant, especially the fruits, are not to be eaten. The worst known side effect of consuming the spine-riddled fruit is collapsed lungs. The herb has a slightly bitter yet sweet taste and a pungent or acrid smell.
- 1 Health Benefits of Tribulus Terrestris
- 2 Uses and Benefits
- 3 How to Take Tribulus
- 4 Recommended Dose
- 5 Side Effects of Tribulus
- 6 Uses and Expected Benefits of Tribulus Extract
- 7 Risk Factors of Tribulus terrestris
Health Benefits of Tribulus Terrestris
This herb is popular among men for its benefits regarding male infertility and sexual prowess. They are also used by professional body builders or even those who are just striving to build some muscles. This medicinal herb is a powerful aphrodisiac. It also has diuretic and lithontriptic properties, the two other main medical actions. Other medicinal actions of Tribulus terrestris include adaptogenic, detoxicant, liver tonic, and recuperative properties. It also has analgesic and antibacterial qualities while being a natural anabolic.
Among the nutrients found in the plant are alkaloids, amino acids, calcium, cinnamic acid, dioscin, fatty acids, fatty oil, flavonoids, glucose, iron, phosphorus, phtyosterol, potassium, ruscogenin, steroidal saponins, sterols, tannins, and vitamin C.
The main medicinal uses for this herb are the following:
- Increases libido and sexual performance for both men and women
- Increases endurance (especially if combined with other herbs such as Ginseng and Rhodiola Rosea)
- Prevents erectile dysfunction, promotes healthy erections
- Increases sperm production
- Increases and restores physical strength
- Promotes muscle development
- Hastens physical recovery
- Regulates testosterone production
- Agitation and irritability
- Andropause and menopause
- Anuria (inability of kidneys to produce urine)
- Kidney stones and other kidney problems
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Premature ejaculation
- Sleeping problems
- Wilms’ tumor (kidney tumor in children)
Men especially will benefit greatly from Tribulus terrestris. Aside from increasing their sex drive or libido and overall enhancement of sexual performance, the herb also helps couples enjoy sex more by increasing the man’s stamina and endurance, thus the common reference to this herb being a very effective aphrodisiac. That means no more “Wham! Bam! Thank You Ma’am!”
More importantly, men who wish to father children but are having a hard time doing so may look to Tribulus for help. The herb is used to treat a number of male fertility problems, especially those concerning the semen and the sperm in particular. Diseases such as aspermia (inability to produce semen or lack of sperm in semen), asthenospermia (reduced sperm motility), azoospermia (no motile sperm in semen), oligospermia (low sperm concentration in semen), teratospermia or teratozoospermia (abnormal structure or morphology of sperm cells), impotence prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate gland), and seminal infection can all be treated by land caltrops.
Uses and Benefits
- Enhance Sexual function: Protodioscin is the supplement’s active ingredient, and it happens to be the precursor to testosterone, otherwise known as the human sex hormone. Thus, the use of the herbal supplement is believed to improve sex drive and performance.
- Help Achieve Hormonal Balance – A lot of researches and studies done on the herbal supplement confirm its links to hormonal balance in the body. This is one of the vital factors that affect overall wellness: a healthy mind and body.
- Help Boost the Circulatory System: The primary role of the circulatory system is to ensure that oxygen and important nutrients are properly distributed to the muscles and internal organs through the blood. A healthy circulatory system will ensure the optimum performance of the other bodily systems.
- Help Boost the Production of Leuteinizing Hormones: The supplement boosts luteinizing hormone production in the body. The hormone is a known stimulator and regulator of testosterone, the male sex hormone. A good testosterone balance will help ensure optimum sexual functions.
- Help Fight Impotence: Regular intake of the herbal supplement will help treat impotence, erectile dysfunction (ED) and infertility problems in both men and women. This can be achieved by restoring hormonal balance to the body.
- INCREASE STAMINA, ENERGY AND LIBIDO - Powerful enhancer of your Test levels for post-workout benefits. EXTRA STRENGTH 1500mg Tribulus dose is 10X MORE POTENT than other diluted multi-ingredient blends where actual Tribulus amount is only 150mg or less.
- ACHIEVE A LEAN AND MUSCLED BODY FAST - 45% Steroidal Saponins help you quickly lose extra fat, gain muscle mass and break training plateaus
- MALE SEXUAL ENHANCER - This natural herb lifts your T-levels, mood and boosts performance
- Same trusted quality with a brand new look! Packaging may vary
- STANDARDIZED EXTRACT/MINIMUM 45% SAPONINS: NOW Sports Tribulus 1,000 mg standardized extract may help to promote healthy endocrine function and male reproductive health.* (Quality GMP Assured, Kosher, Non-GMO, Vegan/Vegetarian)
- Packaged in the USA by a family owned and operated company since 1968
- 120 Capsule of Tribulus Terrestris Per Bottle
- Made With the Finest Tribulus Terrestris Available
- 750mg Per Capsule
How to Take Tribulus
Although all parts of the herb can be used for various purposes, most preparations require only the seed pods or the roots. These may be dried and used as is, dried and made into tea, or powdered and placed in a capsule. Sometimes, the active ingredients are extracted to be formulated and prepared as tinctures and extracts for use internally. These various forms are all commercially-available, as well gels and creams for external use.
Recommended dosing widely varies (from 85 to 250 mg per day), depending on the particular situation or condition being addressed. The supplement is not recommended for use by nursing or pregnant women.
Side Effects of Tribulus
One of the most common side effects that can be experienced from taking the herbal supplement is stomach upset, but it can easily be addressed by ingesting the supplement with food. However, it may cause blood sugar levels to elevate. Taking the supplement may also increase the size of the prostate, so men who have enlarged prostates are advised against using the herb. Likewise, it is not recommended for women who have a history of uterine or breast disease.
Commonly known as Puncture Vine or simply puncturevine, Tribulus is a flowering plant that can help improve the overall functions of the human body and enhance overall health. Although it has long been used in most parts of Eastern Europe and Asia as a medicinal herb, it is commonly used today as a nutritional supplement all over the world.
There are many other benefits attributed to the plant extract. These include increasing levels of energy, boosting libido, and enhancing muscle strength and size. The FDA does not maintain it on its list of controlled dangerous substances, but the agency does not endorse it either. Discretion on taking the extract is upon the individual, so it must be used with caution.
Uses and Expected Benefits of Tribulus Extract
Improved Muscle Strength and Mass
According to Iron Magazine, after extensive review, the extract offers benefits similar to steroids or synthetic anabolic hormones. Consumption of the substance triggers the release of luteinizing hormones. When this happens, the testicles generate more testosterone. The same magazine said that based on studies conducted in Europe, the extract can increase the production of testosterone by 30 to 50%. The higher the testosterone levels, the more strength and mass the muscle gains.
Testosterone also quickens the process of protein synthesis and promotes positive nitrogen balance. This in turn speeds up the recovery of muscle fibers from the effects of a rigorous workout session. When this happens, the person can lift weights more often, and at a greater intensity level.
Finally, a higher level of testosterone increases the urination rate in a way that can be compared to a diuretic. More frequent urination helps sculpt the body to give it a lean, solid muscular look.
Boost Libido or Increase Sexual Functionality and Drive
A widely-circulated review newspaper called A Daily Newspaper reported on the effects of the extract in bodybuilding sometime in February 2010. It mentioned the results of studies done in Bulgaria that showed the supplement’s role in enhancing libido and sex drive, as well as in improving sperm quality.
Likewise, the Herbal Powers website gave references to a study done on 212 males that validated claims that the use of Tribulus helps increase libido, and can result to more frequent and stronger erections and sexual reflexes. Once a male reaches 30 years old, the level of testosterone goes on a gradual but steady decline. Thus, even if one does not exercise, taking the extract may prove beneficial because of the many sexual advantages it offers.
Significantly Increase Energy Levels
Both the Truly Huge and All Star Health websites claim that the extract will help increase one’s energy levels. It is also believed to improve the immune system and enhance the overall mood. A happy disposition and a stronger immune system work together in energizing the body. In addition, the extract makes it possible for an individual to engage in more strenuous workout sessions on a consistent basis. Working out is known to increase a person’s level of energy.
Risk Factors of Tribulus terrestris
Aside from the risk of collapsed lungs, there are other side effects that may result from using Tribulus terrestris. People suffering from disease, especially breast and prostate disease, should stay away from this herb. Additionally, expectant mothers are better off avoiding this to prevent abortion. If you are breastfeeding, you should also avoid this herb.
Those who take the herb still need to be cautious. Avoid taking too much. High doses of Tribulus terrestris may lead to problems related to the eyes and liver. The accepted safe dosage is at 85-250 milligrams a day. Other known side effects include sleep problems (if taken too close to bedtime) and irregular menstruation.
If you are taking beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, Digoxin, diuretics and other medicines for the heart and blood pressure, avoid taking Tribulus terrestris. It also lowers blood sugar, so diabetics should steer clear of this herb.
Tribulus, also commonly known as puncture vine, is a herbal supplement that can provide a lot of benefits for the body. For one, it is said to be a potent libido enhancer for both men and women. In addition, it can be added in post cycle therapy after other types of testosterone boosters like Pine Pollen are used. The herb has the ability to balance hormone levels in a natural way, and this is the reason it is usually incorporated in post cycle therapy.
The herb has been widely used in Asia, specifically in India and China, since the ancient times. However, it was relatively unknown to the rest of the world until the late 1980s when word spread that countries in Eastern Europe have been giving the supplement to their Olympians to enhance their athletic performance for decades.I personally get almost all of my herbs from Lost Empire Herbs. Their sourcing is the best in the business and many of their herbs are grown in the USA. Click here to learn about their patented Full-Spectrum Extraction process and get 15% off your first order! Tip: Be sure to sign up for their newsletter at the top. NEW COUPON CODE: URBOL