Saw Palmetto is a plant whose ripe fruits or berries are used to make medicine. It is a palm scientifically known as Serenoa repens. It is also known as American Dwarf Palm Tree, Cabbage Palm, Sabal, and Saw Palmetto Berry. Saw palmetto can be eaten fresh (particularly its raw berries), or taken in tea or tincture or supplement form (often containing oils and dried powder extracts).
Health Benefits of Saw Palmetto
- Treats benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH)
- Alleviates chronic pelvic pain
- Reduces bleeding after prostate surgery
- Protects against prostate disease
- Hampers baldness progression and hair loss
- Improves bladder control
- Relieves sore throat, cough, and colds
- Eases asthma symptoms
- Resolves migraines
- Increases breast size
- Prostate Surgery
Studies have shown that taking saw palmetto before surgery brings a reduction in blood loss and decreases risks of complications.
Abnormal hormone levels can lead to tumor formation, which is why elevated testosterone is among the many causes of prostate disease. Since saw palmetto decreases testosterone levels, it could possibly lower one’s risks of developing disease. Still, there is insufficient evidence supporting the plant’s potency as treatment for the dreaded disease.
Benign Prostate Hyperplasia
Several studies have shown that herbal extract of saw palmetto berry can relieve most symptoms associated with prostatitis and enlarged prostate, including painful and frequent urination, as well as nocturia. How the plant brings forth these effects remains unknown but plenty of anecdotal evidence exists to make it a go-to natural remedy for BPH. Many take it along with Flomax. If you suffer from lower urinary tract symptoms you may also want to ask your doctor about the drug Permixon.
With its abundance of phytonutrients, saw palmetto stimulates breast tissue production. In addition, it lowers testosterone levels (including DHT), resulting in greater percentages of estrogen and prolactin – hormones primarily responsible for breast development. Interestingly though, saw palmetto is not considered estrogenic.
Many claim that a combination of beta-sitosterol and saw palmetto causes an increase in hair growth, as well as in follicle length and number. Reviews of herbal supplements tend to have a considerable amount of anecdotal evidence to this effect.
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS YOU CAN TRUST - Is your sleep and quality of life disrupted because of the constant need to use the bathroom? Havasu Nutrition's PREMIUM SAW PALMETTO is the solution you've been looking for for your prostate and putting an end to frequent trips to the bathroom! Frequent urination is common as men age but it should not interfere with your daily life or getting a good night sleep! End your frustrations with our potent and extra strength blend!*
- MAINTAIN HEALTHY HAIR GROWTH - Studies have shown SAW PALMETTO works in the body by maintaining healthy levels of DHT, a primary contributor to male-pattern baldness. Managing healthy DHT levels may also help promote healthy urination and prostate health*
- SAFELY SUPPORT PROSTATE HEALTH with our extra strength prostate supplement! Our Saw Palmetto pills & the power of the whole berries NATURALLY promote urinary tract and prostate health.* Taken daily, PREMIUM SAW PALMETTO will promote your well-being and vitality.*
- FOR AN ACTIVE LIFESTYLE: Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) berries are beneficial to men (especially over the age of 50) seeking to maintain an active lifestyle.*
- FOR PROSTATE HEALTH: Saw Palmetto berries promotes prostate health and support urinary tract functions.
- AUTHETIC TRU-ID CERTIFIED SAW PALMETTO BERRIES: TRU-ID is an independent testing program that uses cutting-edge DNA biotechnology to ensure the authenticity of our herbal products, including our Saw Palmetto Berries. With TRU-ID validation, you can be sure that the Ginger Root featured on our label matches what's in our product.
- EXCELLENT PROSTATE SUPPORT SUPPLEMENT - One of the most widely used supplements for supporting prostate health, healthy urinary flow and frequency, and hormonal balance.
- PACKED WITH BENEFICIAL FATTY ACIDS & STEROLS - Saw palmetto's active ingredients are plant sterols, fatty acids and flavonoids that promote lower levels of enzymes that have been linked to prostate health concerns, hair thickness and overall men's health.
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY TESTOSTERONE LEVELS - Long ago, Native American tribes believed that saw palmetto supported reproductive health and boosted libido. Modern studies have shown that saw palmetto may, in fact, promote increased libido by limiting the breakdown of testosterone within the body.
Cough and Colds
Combined with other herbs, saw palmetto is effective as a quick cough and cold remedy, clearing the airways even in cases of asthma and bronchitis.
An overactive bladder causes incontinence, which is associated with episodes of uncontrolled urination. Saw palmetto’s ability to relieve prostate inflammation has been linked with improved bladder control.
While there is much to be learned about saw palmetto’s medicinal properties, one thing is already clear – it’s nature’s gift to men, but women shouldn’t feel envious at all, given the plant’s breast augmenting properties.
Erectile Dysfunction? (ED)
While the herb has been proven to have beneficial effects on enlarged prostate and may have some carryover characteristics that aid in easing the symptoms of impotence and erectile, dysfunction, there’s no evidence that it should be used as a front-line defense against this condition. Other herbs are more suited as natural remedies for ED if you don’t want to use pharmaceuticals like Viagra and Cialis.
I’m over 40 and fighting some of the conditions talked about here. I take an herbal supplement that contains pygeum and saw palmetto extract. I take it daily along with several other herbs and will for the foreseeable future. Other herbal roots that I take every single day are turmeric and maca and I eat lots of carrots and beets. If you don’t know about the sexual benefits of Maca root, you need to do research and get to taking this stuff.
If you’re interested in information on saw palmetto for prostate health, definitely watch the video posted below.
Side effects like nausea, stomach pain, bad breath, and diarrhea have been reported but are uncommon and usually mild. Patients who have any pre-existing conditions must consult their doctor before taking saw palmetto, especially those getting their PSA checked (otherwise, the results could be inaccurate).
Not enough has been researched about the safety of saw palmetto, so it is also contraindicated in children and pregnant women.