Saw Palmetto is a plant whose ripe fruits or berries are used to make medicine. It is a palm scientifically known as Serenoa repens. It is also known as American Dwarf Palm Tree, Cabbage Palm, Sabal, and Saw Palmetto Berry. Saw palmetto can be eaten fresh (particularly its raw berries), or taken in tea or tincture or supplement form (often containing oils and dried powder extracts).
Health Benefits of Saw Palmetto
- Treats benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH)
- Alleviates chronic pelvic pain
- Reduces bleeding after prostate surgery
- Protects against prostate disease
- Hampers baldness progression and hair loss
- Improves bladder control
- Relieves sore throat, cough, and colds
- Eases asthma symptoms
- Resolves migraines
- Increases breast size
- Prostate Surgery
Studies have shown that taking saw palmetto before surgery brings a reduction in blood loss and decreases risks of complications.
Abnormal hormone levels can lead to tumor formation, which is why elevated testosterone is among the many causes of prostate disease. Since saw palmetto decreases testosterone levels, it could possibly lower one’s risks of developing disease. Still, there is insufficient evidence supporting the plant’s potency as treatment for the dreaded disease.
Benign Prostate Hyperplasia
Several studies have shown that herbal extract of saw palmetto berry can relieve most symptoms associated with prostatitis and enlarged prostate, including painful and frequent urination, as well as nocturia. How the plant brings forth these effects remains unknown but plenty of anecdotal evidence exists to make it a go-to natural remedy for BPH. Many take it along with Flomax. If you suffer from lower urinary tract symptoms you may also want to ask your doctor about the drug Permixon.
With its abundance of phytonutrients, saw palmetto stimulates breast tissue production. In addition, it lowers testosterone levels (including DHT), resulting in greater percentages of estrogen and prolactin – hormones primarily responsible for breast development. Interestingly though, saw palmetto is not considered estrogenic.
Many claim that a combination of beta-sitosterol and saw palmetto causes an increase in hair growth, as well as in follicle length and number. Reviews of herbal supplements tend to have a considerable amount of anecdotal evidence to this effect.
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS YOU CAN TRUST - Is your sleep and quality of life disrupted because of the constant need to use the bathroom? Havasu Nutrition's PREMIUM SAW PALMETTO is the solution you've been looking for for your prostate and putting an end to frequent trips to the bathroom! Frequent urination is common as men age but it should not interfere with your daily life or getting a good night sleep! End your frustrations with our potent and extra strength blend!*
- MAINTAIN HEALTHY HAIR GROWTH - Studies have shown SAW PALMETTO works in the body by maintaining healthy levels of DHT, a primary contributor to male-pattern baldness. Managing healthy DHT levels may also help promote healthy urination and prostate health*
- SAFELY SUPPORT PROSTATE HEALTH with our extra strength prostate supplement! Our Saw Palmetto pills & the power of the whole berries NATURALLY promote urinary tract and prostate health.* Taken daily, PREMIUM SAW PALMETTO will promote your well-being and vitality.*
- HAVING FRUSTRATING TRIPS TO THE BATHROOM? As you may know, frequent urination is a very common problem for men as they age. It's time to stop waking up several times per night, only to be frustrated by very little output. Try just one capsule per day.
- WHY THIS COMPLEX? The choices are overwhelming when searching for Saw Palmetto supplements. Our team of experts has crafted a formula that makes sense, containing BOTH POWDER & EXTRACT. Some supplements contain only extract, which takes away from the synergy of the whole plant. Including the whole berry powder allows this formula to offer maximum benefits.
- PROSTATE SUPPORT FORMULA - Saw Palmetto Berries contain several plant sterols, including BETA SITOSTEROL, well-known for its reputed role in helping to support prostate health. When this Saw Palmetto Complex is taken as directed, you can be confident that you are making a great choice.
- Prostate Health: Are you having to wake up during the night to constantly relieve yourself? Frequent Urination at night is a common for men as they age. Our Perfect Blend of Saw Palmetto comes with only the highest Quality of ingredients to naturally Promote prostate health and Urinary Tact.
- Why Choose This Complex? Its complex comes with BOTH powder and extract to provide maximum benefits ensuring that you have a peaceful nights sleep
- Fight Your Hair Loss: An extract of saw palmetto berries may block 5-alpha-reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to DHT. DHT is the molecule responsible for hair loss and also is involved in the enlargement of the prostate
Cough and Colds
Combined with other herbs, saw palmetto is effective as a quick cough and cold remedy, clearing the airways even in cases of asthma and bronchitis.
An overactive bladder causes incontinence, which is associated with episodes of uncontrolled urination. Saw palmetto’s ability to relieve prostate inflammation has been linked with improved bladder control.
While there is much to be learned about saw palmetto’s medicinal properties, one thing is already clear – it’s nature’s gift to men, but women shouldn’t feel envious at all, given the plant’s breast augmenting properties.
Erectile Dysfunction? (ED)
While the herb has been proven to have beneficial effects on enlarged prostate and may have some carryover characteristics that aid in easing the symptoms of impotence and erectile, dysfunction, there’s no evidence that it should be used as a front-line defense against this condition. Other herbs are more suited as natural remedies for ED if you don’t want to use pharmaceuticals like Viagra and Cialis.
I’m over 40 and fighting some of the conditions talked about here. I take an herbal supplement that contains pygeum and saw palmetto extract. I take it daily along with several other herbs and will for the foreseeable future. Other herbal roots that I take every single day are turmeric and maca and I eat lots of carrots and beets. If you don’t know about the sexual benefits of Maca root, you need to do research and get to taking this stuff.
If you’re interested in information on saw palmetto for prostate health, definitely watch the video posted below.
Side effects like nausea, stomach pain, bad breath, and diarrhea have been reported but are uncommon and usually mild. Patients who have any pre-existing conditions must consult their doctor before taking saw palmetto, especially those getting their PSA checked (otherwise, the results could be inaccurate).
Not enough has been researched about the safety of saw palmetto, so it is also contraindicated in children and pregnant women.I personally get almost all of my herbs from Lost Empire Herbs. Their sourcing is the best in the business and many of their herbs are grown in the USA. Click here to learn about their patented Full-Spectrum Extraction process and get 15% off your first order! Tip: Be sure to sign up for their newsletter at the top. NEW COUPON CODE: URBOL