Irish moss or carrageen moss is a red seaweed that grows in cold bodies of water that the Irish people use have an ingredient in their food for centuries. It’s not gaining more and more attentions because it’s loaded with health benefits when taking raw, as a tea, drink or herbal extract supplement.
Let’s learn a little about this plant and how we can easily benefit from it.
Besides the coast of Ireland, Irish moss (or simple seamoss) also grows in the oceans of North America and Asia. Irish moss is a sea vegetable that is popular for its high nutritional value and as a thickening agent for food. It is rich in iodine, calcium, potassium, sulphur, and Vitamin E.
Irish Moss can be eaten raw, or if you want to release all its vital nutrients, you can turn it into a hearty broth. It is also soaked and mixed to form a gel for use as a nutritious thickening agent in various food and drinks recipes; this is possible because it contains a large amount of carrageenan, a natural emulsifier.
Irish Moss also know by the scientific names Mastocarpus stellatus or Chondrus crispus, is commonly called pearl moss.
Health Benefits of Irish Moss
- Respiratory tonic
- Strengthens connective tissue and joints
- Great for the skin
- Nourishes nutritionally-deficient individuals
- Soothes digestive tract
- Assists in weight loss
- Helps fight disease
- Contains antioxidants to fight free radicals
- Relieves digestive problems
- Helps in lowering “bad” LDL cholesterol and blood pressure
- Optimizes thyroid health
- Herbal laxative
Irish Moss has long been acknowledged for its role in treating and abating the symptoms of coughs, colds and flu. It contains potassium chloride, which is beneficial in dissolving catharrs that cause congestion. It is a healthy and natural alternative to manufactured and over-the-counter pharmaceutical treatment for coughs and flu.
As a demulcent, carrageen moss has a calming effect on all mucous membranes of the body. It softens the tissues and helps in the management of respiratory issues like pneumonia and bronchitis. It also has the ability to absorb and expel excess fluids from the body.
Irish Moss functions as an expectorant by using its high mucilage content to alleviate the inflammation of nasal passages, which in turn relieves dry cough and sore throat.
- REAL WILDCRAFTED in open sea coastal inlets - Non-GMO - Small Farmer harvested - Fair Pay Advocate. Available in a choice of single 3 Oz pack (1 pack), double pack 2 x 3 Oz and 5 x 3 Oz (5 pack)
- REAL IRISH MOSS SUPERFOOD - Vegan - Gluten Free - RAW - contains antioxidants - provides fiber & trace minerals
- REAL HEALTHY - loaded with potassium, calcium, iodine and natural vitamins A, D, E & K
- BEST KEPT SECRET: For the most delicious and emollient raw food creams! Vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, dairy-free. Make your own Irish Moss Gel and use it as a base for your protein shakes and smoothies. Add it to your recipes that call for thick consistency such as cheesecake, puddings and jams. Substitute for cream in thick soups. Replace the fat in sauces, mayonnaise, salsas and dressings The same gel even doubles up as a facial mask!
- ANTIOXIDANT POWERHOUSE: The Divine Organics Irish Moss is loaded with a range of Vitamins, Minerals and Healthy Fatty Acids. This Super Food Is rich in magnesium, high in protein, with a significant amount of fiber, and contains only natural good fat like those in avocado, coconut and nuts. No additives, fillers, sugars or anything artificial or processed. Natural stimulant, more subtle and longer lasting than caffeine. Feel energetic and happy!
- RAW, NATURAL AND UNPROCESSED: Our Irish Moss, also called Sea Moss, or by its botanical name Gracilaria, is truly raw and dried under the sun right after harvesting. Because of its natural state it comes with impurities, such as sand, dirt, salt, and sea debris.
- Irish moss seed, also known as pearlwort, grows best in full sun or partial shade
- Sagina Subulata is the Latin name for Irish moss plants. This low growing groundcover will get tiny white blooms on it during the summer months.
- One of the few groundcovers which is frequently used as a lawn alternative or substitute. It is also great to plant in-between stepping stones.
Carrageen Moss’s antimicrobial, antitumor and antiviral agents help in the treatment of infections and respiratory ailments like bronchitis, pneumonia, sore throat, and other lung disorders.
Recent studies and clinical trials also present convincing evidence for its use as a treatment against Alzheimer’s Disease and other neurodegenerative disorders.
Because carrageen moss carries the rich elements produced by the oceans, Irish Moss is also a great nourishing food or drink for convalescing patients and nutritionally-deficient individuals. Its active ingredients and blood-thinning properties can also help treat hypertension, prevent plaque and cholesterol buildup in the arteries, and prevent the onset of obesity.
The high iodine content of Irish Moss is beneficial for thyroid health and for relieving fatigue, slow metabolism, goiter, slow heart rate, pale skin, stringy hair, and other symptoms of thyroid disorders. The increase in metabolic rate will help the body burn fat and excess calories more efficiently, thus making it a great all-natural weight-loss herbal supplement.
Seamoss also contains plenty of calcium, making it beneficial in maintaining bone health.
Side Effects of Irish Moss
Irish Moss has few side effects when taken in normal doses however there are no studies on overdosing or daily dosages for extended periods of time. Caution is recommended, especially for pregnant or lactating women.
The most common side effects are gastrointestinal; stomach aches, diarrhea, and cramps.
Some people associate the harmful industrial uses of chemically-processed carrageenan as a thickening agent with eating or drinking raw Irish Moss, which isn’t logical.
Raw or cooked, Irish Sea Moss is an amazing sea vegetable that you will love to have on your plate daily for good health and vitality. Or you may prefer it as a drink loaded with rejuvenation!I personally get almost all of my herbs from Lost Empire Herbs. Their sourcing is the best in the business and many of their herbs are grown in the USA. Click here to learn about their patented Full-Spectrum Extraction process and get 15% off your first order! Tip: Be sure to sign up for their newsletter at the top. NEW COUPON CODE: URBOL