- 1 What is a wet cough?
- 2 How can you tell if you have a wet cough?
- 3 Why do we cough?
- 4 Natural Overnight Home Remedies for Wet Cough
- 5 Are These Natural Home Remedies Better Than Cough Medicine?
- 6 Other Tips for Treating a Wet Cough Overnight
- 6.0.1 Get Rid of a Dry Cough With Top Natural Home Remedies [2018 List]
- 6.0.2 A Natural Health Remedy for Every Cough [Just Updated]
- 6.0.3 12 Natural Homemade Cough Medicine Recipes That Work (#1 Has Whiskey)
- 6.0.4 Slippery Elm Bark: Sore Throat Benefits and More [2018 Updates]
- 6.0.5 Get Rid of a Cough Fast: 4 Natural Remedies (Works Quick)
- 6.0.6 Wet Cough – How to Get Rid of It Fast (9 Natural Remedies)
- 6.0.7 How to Get Rid of a Sore Throat Fast [Latest Findings]
What is a wet cough?
Also known medically as a productive cough, a persistent wet cough is characterized by excessive mucus that is often expelled from the throat in the form of gooey phlegm. It typically results from changes in the weather or infections and the sufferer usually experiences pain in the chest and throat when coughing. A wet cough, if not properly treated, leads to tiredness and exhaustion as it can greatly affect normal sleep patterns.
No one wants a miserable wet cough, right?
Keep reading to find out what exactly a wet cough is, what it might be an indication of and natural remedies that can help you get rid of a wet cough fast.
As quickly as overnight!
And what’s even better than an herbal remedy that knocks a wet cough right out? Avoiding it in the first place!
We’ll help with that and share a great video showing just how easy it is to make a great-tasting herbal remedy recipe with all-natural healthy ingredients in just a few minutes.
But, first things first!
How can you tell if you have a wet cough?
A wet cough is one of the first symptoms that indicate an issue with the respiratory tract. Some of the health issues that are diagnosed through the presence of a wet cough include:
- Pneumonia (inflammation of the upper or the lower respiratory tract)
- Heart disease
- Lung cancer (often characterized by bloody phlegm)
- SOOTHES COUGHS Zarbee's Naturals 96% Honey Cough Soothers + Immune Support* offers simple and effective soothing for coughs associated with hoarseness, dry throat, and irritants* with vitamin C, zinc, and echinacea to help support your immune system* .
- SUMMER, WINTER, FALL OR SPRING: Try Zarbee's Naturals 96% Honey Cough + Immune drops for a taste of honey & citrus flavor. Made with ingredients you can feel good about. For adults & children ages 5 years+. Choking warning: Not for children 4 & under.
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS At any time of year, feel better knowing Zarbee's Naturals Cough Soothers are made with wholesome ingredients and no drugs, alcohol, artificial flavors, colors, or processed sugars. For adults & children ages 5 years+.
In most cases, a wet cough is often accompanied by the presence of some other symptom of an infection. The most common among these symptoms is a high fever. People suffering from the flu or from a cold or a hay fever may also have wet coughs.
Why do we cough?
Coughing is a normal body reflex that serves to clear the air passages that make up the entire respiratory tract of foreign particles. Note that the tract is lined with millions of nerve endings. Once an irritant penetrates any part of the air passages, the body automatically tries to minimize its negative effects by producing mucus. This then causes a blockage in the airways, which prompts the nerve endings to send signals to the brain.
These signals trigger the brain’s so-called cough center, which then triggers the cough reflex. According to scientists, the cough reflex starts by the hardening of the epiglottis. This then temporarily closes the larynx off. The abdominal muscles then contract, which puts pressure on the airways. This pressure causes the epiglottis to relax, which also opens the larynx back up. Air would then burst forth from the lungs in short spurts.
In most cases, the cough reflex is effective in dislodging whatever irritant may be blocking the airways. However, there are cases wherein the irritant lodges itself so deeply that the body has to produce more mucus to try to combat it. This means that the cough also develops into a full-blown wet cough.
And while coughing is a natural process that protects the throat and lungs, excess coughing can cause discomfort and is annoying both to the one suffering from the cough as well as those who have to listen to it! This irritability can also help to weaken the immune system, thus fostering perfect conditions for the infection and symptoms to worsen.
Natural Overnight Home Remedies for Wet Cough
Those who want overnight relief from a wet cough can benefit from any of the proven natural remedies posted below. The sooner you get started with the treatment, the sooner you can fight off the infection and get your symptoms under control.
One of the most effective natural home remedies is lemon juice mixture. The mixture requires only three natural ingredients:
- lemon juice
This combination is effective treatment in dislodging the mucus so that it can be expelled by the body and you can get rid of the wet cough faster.
Lemon juice also contains high levels of Vitamin C, which the body needs for boosting up its immunity. Once the immune system has received the necessary boost of vitamin C and other nutrients, it can then create natural antibodies. These antibodies not only work to stop the mucus buildup, it also goes directly to the source of the infection and fights it until it is completely eliminated.
Aside from peppermint and honey, other options that can be added to the treatment mixture include:
- Cayenne pepper
- Licorice root
- Grated onions
Another natural home remedy that you can use for beating a wet cough is ginger tea. Naturally, the main ingredient for this tea is ginger. Most homemade recipes make use of fresh ginger root that’s either crushed or grated. But those who don’t want to go to all the trouble of crushing or grating can also make use of ground ginger. These are often sold at various herbal shops and are well-preserved with natural ingredients so they don’t go stale for months.
A few other natural ingredients to add to the ginger tea treatment include:
- Maple syrup
- Cumin or Turmeric
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE - Get rid of the discomfort of joint pain & inflammation, or your money back!
- REAL INGREDIENTS DELIVER REAL RESULTS: Our potent Turmeric Curcumin may help relieve joint & back pain, reduce inflammation and skin dryness, boost brain function & memory, improve digestion and blood circulation, enhance immune and nervous system. It promotes healthy joints, eyes, skin, hair, heart and mood!
- POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT & ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Our Turmeric Formula (with BioPerine and Curcuma Longa with 95% standardized Curcuminoids) is the perfect daily boost and complement to a healthy and active lifestyle. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties not only may help ease joint pain, discomfort & inflammation, but also support overall health. This high quality and first-class product works great for Women, Men and Seniors
These ingredients not only help to cure the wet cough, they also serve to sweeten the brew. These are the healthier, more natural options to white or brown processed sugar.
In order to make the ginger tea more effective, you can also add:
- Lemon juice
- Cinnamon powder
- Jaggery (Indian brown sugar made by evaporating the sap of palm trees – it has major ayurvedic health benefits vs. refined white sugar)
The brew can be prepared by simply placing all the ingredients in a cup and adding some hot water over it. Stir the mixture and let it steep for a few minutes. Be sure to consume it while it is still warm because that’s when the brew works its magic best. Ginger contains a compound known as oleoresin, a compound that is present in many other medicinal herbs. Oleoresin is the primary reason why ginger can effectively suppress coughing after just a few hours of consuming the tea.
And finally, garlic!
- WHY US: We were sick of burping up garlic so we set out to create an amazing burp less garlic supplement. With garlic being a leading super food, there are hundreds of variations of garlic supplements now available in the market. However, at BRI Nutrition, we've developed what counts, and that is sourcing the finest ingredients.
- WHAT IT IS: Studies suggest that garlic can be an effective agent in improving our overall health.* Whether with regards to cardiovascular health issues, such as high blood pressure, cholesterol, or heart attacks.* It also aids our immune system and in circulation and digestion, and provides detox and cleanse abilities.* Garlic is made up of key compounds that contribute a variety of health benefits to the body. These compounds include allicin which the active ingredient in garlic.
- PURITY: We use only the finest ingredients, all of which are manufactured in our US, GMP compliant, state-of-the-art, facility. Every batch is laboratory tested for quality assurance. OUR GUARANTEE: We're very so confident that you'll love this product that we offer a 60-day, 100% money-back guarantee.
Garlic is a mighty antibiotic, it’s all-natural and chemical-free and can quickly aid the immune system in fighting off infection. You can build up beneficial levels in your system by simply adding it to the foods you eat. Many natural supplements (like the one we linked to above) also boast maximum strength dosages while being completely odorless!
Are These Natural Home Remedies Better Than Cough Medicine?
There are numerous cough medications that can be used for treating either wet or dry cough. The thing about this medicine is that the shortest time that they can effectively cure a wet cough is about 3-5 days and many times they actually just delay the natural healing process by masking the symptoms. More often than not, these medications have to be taken for a full 7 days. That is because they need that amount of time to completely erase all traces of the irritant in the body.
Unlike cough medicine that is made out of synthetic ingredients, this holistic natural home remedy can be taken for however long the individual wants to take it and instead of working against the human body’s natural healing abilities, they work with it to get rid of the wet cough.
But that’s not all!
Synthetic drugs often have harmful side effects when taken in excess, such as the up-to-a-week daily doses needed to fight off a wet cough. And we haven’t even mentioned the matter of cost. Taking cough medication for a week or so is not only unhealthy, it’s also far from cheap!
One of the risks of taking excess cough medicine is addiction. Addiction to cough syrup, believe it or not, is becoming a real health problem!
Also, some people also tend to develop immunity against the medicine especially if they have been taking it for longer or shorter than the recommended period and dosage.
- SOOTHE AND SUPPORT* This warm bedtime drink mix soothes throats and calms coughs associated with hoarseness, dry throat, and irritants* and includes vitamin C, zinc & elderberry extract for immune support*. With a great tasting natural honey lemon flavor.
- NIGHTTIME FORMULA: Zarbee's Naturals Cough & Throat Relief Nighttime Drink Mix is made with simple, wholesome ingredients like elderbery and honey, plus 3mg melatonin, which is a non-habit forming and drug-free ingredient, to help guide you to sleep*.
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS Zarbee's Naturals Cough & Throat Relief Drink Mixes are made with wholesome ingredients like dark honey & no drugs, alcohol, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, dyes, or gluten. For adults & children ages 12 years+.
Contrary to this, natural medicinal remedies are not addictive and people don’t have to keep a close eye on the dosage and length of intake. And chances are, as they fortify the immune system, they’ll help strengthen defenses against other health threats you might not even be aware of.
It’s a real win-win!
Other Tips for Treating a Wet Cough Overnight
Aside from herbal remedies, experts also have a few other tips in regard to suppressing a wet cough.
These tips include:
- Elevate the head when sleeping. This effectively keeps the mucus from blocking the airways, thereby suppressing the cough reflex. This is especially useful because it keeps the cough from disrupting a good night’s sleep. As everyone knows, sufficient sleep is also one of the best remedies for any illness.
- Use some steam. This is one of the oldest cough suppressants in history. It is also the cheapest since all you need is a bowl and some hot steaming water. The best way to inhale the steam thoroughly is by placing a blanket or a towel over the head. Just make sure that it is big enough to cover the bowl of hot water as well. In lieu of the bowl, you can also just indulge in a steam bath or get an inexpensive facial steamer like the one posted below.
- AMERICA'S BEST SELLING FACIAL STEAMER & HUMIDIFIER - The Pure Daily Care Nano Steamer is a new type of steamer that generates nano-ionic steam. NanoSteamer does this by combining a conventional heating element with a new ultra sonic vaporizer to produce nano steam with negatively charged ionic particles. Nano steam combined with ionic water particles are up to 10x more effective in penetrating skin.
- BONUS 5 PIECE SKIN KIT INCLUDED - A Bonus 5 piece surgical grade stainless steel blackhead and blemish extractor kit is included with every Nanosteamer. This kit includes 5 precise instruments that compliment your Nanosteamer perfectly. Followup your steaming session by using this kit to remove blackheads and blemishes effortlessly for perfect skin after every use.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL - 3-in-1 device can also be set to humidify a room and has an extra chamber to warm towels for ultimate refreshment
Having enough knowledge about natural remedies for a wet cough is invaluable, especially during the cold season. However, aside from knowledge of remedies, it is also necessary that people keep prevention foremost on their minds. This is especially true if they have a baby, toddler or young school kids whose immune systems are still not developed enough to fight against infections.
There are a few tips that can help keep your family safe from wet coughs, which include:
- Frequent hand washing is possibly the most effective way to protect yourself from infectious agents.
- Keep you and your children away from people who are suffering from flu or colds.
- Quit smoking. This also includes avoiding people who smoke since second-hand smoke is a more potent lung irritant.
- Make sure every member of the family has had their flu shots before the cold season starts.
As the saying goes, prevention is always so much better than cure. Even if the cures are composed of all-natural ingredients that also contain nutrients that add to the body’s immune defenses!
Learn as much as you can and not only will you be able to get quick and easy relief from the unpleasant symptoms of a wet cough now but you’ll be prepared during the next cold and flu season to protect yourself and your family with the right products and healthy, all-natural herbal remedies!
Would you like to watch a video showing a simple recipe for all-natural herbal relief from wet coughs? You might be surprised how quick and easy it is to get rid of a wet phlegmy productive cough! Please watch and then a quick closing comment and request from you.
We’ve done our best to outline some simple home remedies for wet cough using herbs and all-natural ingredients, some of them common to Ayurveda and almost all of them readily available at any local grocery store or produce stand. Who knows? You probably have most of them in your kitchen now!
Now we want to hear from you in the comments below! Please let us know your results from trying out our easy suggestions and/or if you’re aware of other herbs, remedies or recipes that you’d like to share.I personally get mine from Lost Empire Herbs. Their sourcing is the best in the business and many of their herbs are grown in the USA. Click here to learn about their patented Full-Spectrum Extraction process and get 15% off your first order! Tip: Be sure to sign up for their newsletter at the top. NEW COUPON CODE: URBOL