Corydalis is a flowering herb that is found in Northern China, Japan and Siberia. It is a member of the Papaverceae Corydalis (poppy) family and has sedative, analgesic, diuretic and antispasmodic properties. The parts of the plant that are used to make medicine are the root and the tuber. It is usually taken as a capsule derived from the dry rhizome of this herb, its seeds or it can also be consumed as a tea (but is bitter-tasting).
In traditional Chinese medicine, the Corydalis Yan Hu So herb is used to move the qi (the body’s energy), alleviate pain and reinvigorate tired blood.
The herb’s Latin and botanical name is Corydalis spp or Corydalis yanhusuo. Lower classifications of the plant include Corydalis cava, Corydalis aurea, Corydalis flavula and Corydalis bungeana.
Health Benefits of Corydalis
- Treating insomnia. The Corydalis plant contains substances that promote relaxation and pain relief. People who took an extract of this herb were shown to have been able to fall asleep more easily.
- Pain relief. THP (tetrahydropalmatine), an alkaloid that is found in Corydalis, has been shown in preliminary studies to be effective in relieving nerve pain. In fact, some herbalists go so far as to say that it might be the most effective herbal substance in fighting chronic nueropathic pain. This is especially encouraging to those who suffer from neuropathy since there’s no pharmaceutical drug effective against neuropathic pain.
- Alleviating arrhythmia. Dl-THP, an active ingredient in this herb, may have an anti-arrhythmic effect which helps to improve cardiovascular health.
- Relieving dysmenorrheal. In some studies, women who suffered from painful menstruation were seen to respond favorably to THP, enjoying its pain-relieving effects.
- Managing peptic ulcer. It extracts may be effective in helping relieve stomach ulcers.
Corydalis is also used to treat cases of mild mental disorders such as emotional disturbance and depression as well as limb tremors and nerve damage. The herb is also used as a tranquilizer and mild sedative.
But a review reveals that its main benefit is seen in pain relief as this herb is a natural pain reliever and may be useful in offering relief to chronic conditions such as back pain and arthritis. Studies have revealed benefits for myocardial infarction, regulation of dopamine with regard to rewards circuits in the brain, analgesic effects on acute, inflammatory and chronic pain, inflammation,
The recommended dosage for Corydalis is around five to ten grams a day when taken in capsule form or ten ml to twenty ml a day when taken as a liquid extract.
Where to Buy Corydalis
I find the 10:1 extract powder capsules from Parker Naturals to be a great value. One serving provides 1g of Yan hu suo Root Corydalis to help fight headaches, menstrual pain and back pain. What impresses me is that it’s manufactured in an American FDA-approved facility. and gets top-notch reviews on alternative herbal health sites.
Taking this herb may be useful in providing relief from various mild conditions related to the nervous system such as insomnia as well as helping to relieve pain. However, it should only be taken as instructed since taking too much may cause tremors and muscle spasms. Some have even described getting high from corydalis when mixing it with kratom and phenibut. You should always consult with a doctor or other health professional as well as a knowledgeable herbalist before starting with Corydalis in order to avoid negative interactions and other side effects.I personally get almost all of my herbs from Lost Empire Herbs. Their sourcing is the best in the business and many of their herbs are grown in the USA. Click here to learn about their patented Full-Spectrum Extraction process and get 15% off your first order! Tip: Be sure to sign up for their newsletter at the top. NEW COUPON CODE: URBOL