Coptis is a perennial herb root that is native to China and to the cooler parts of Asia. It is generally found in boggy damp spots since the herb thrives in soils that are slightly acidic.
Herbal relatives of Coptis chinensis can be found in North America and the Himalayas in India. The herb and its root iare seen as having anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties.
Coptis herb is also sometimes called Chinese Goldthread, Yellowroot or Goldenthread and Rhizoma Coptidis is another way to say coptis root.
Health Benefits of Coptis
- Helping reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. This herb is believed to help alleviate arteriosclerosis (thickening of the arteries) and reduce blood cholesterol levels.
- Helping manage diabetes. Some studies have indicated that coptis root may help lower blood sugar, which would greatly help people living with diabetes manage the disease.
- Helping alleviate PMS. Women can take this herb to help them deal with the stomach cramps that are associated with pre-menstrual syndrome.
- Helping deal with stress. This herb has mild sedative properties, which can help people deal with the mental and physical effects of stress. Those who suffer from insomnia may also benefit since it can help them relax, making it easier for them to get to sleep.
- Helping soothe the digestive system. This herb may be useful in helping people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, assorted gastric diseases as well as preventing diarrhea.
- May be helpful for cancer patients. Some studies have shown that coptis herb may stop cancer cells from replicating.
- Helping manage wounds. This herb contains tannins, which can staunch blood flow and help wounds heal faster.
The main benefit of Coptis is seen to be helping to manage diabetes since it contains berberine, which helps lower blood sugar levels. In addition, since it helps stimulate the immune system of the body, it promotes the creation of interferon, a natural substance that has a lot of health benefits. And it has antibacterial and antiviral properties, which makes it valuable in treating a wide variety of ailments.
Summary of Coptis Herb & Root
Coptis herb is available in a wide variety of forms, including tinctures, powders, capsules and ointments, making it simple and easy to take as an herbal supplement. In addition, it can be applied directly in the form of raw herbal compresses and poultices. This means that you can use it to treat many ailments.
However, before using this herb, you should consult with your doctor or other health professional in order to avoid side effects and complications as well as negative interactions and contraindications with any medicines you may be taking.
I personally buy mine from Lost Empire Herbs. Their sourcing is the best in the business and many of their herbs are grown in the USA. Click here to learn about their patented Full-Spectrum Extraction process and get 15% off your first order! Tip: Be sure to sign up for their newsletter at the top.