Burdock plants (Arctium lappa) can grow up to 71 centimeters or 28 inches long. They have dark green leaves and stalks that are usually hollow. Burdocks are large, ovate, and coarse, and their lower parts are heart shaped.
This genus typically bears flowers during the months of July to October. The heads of Burdocks, called burrs, can easily catch onto furs and fabrics. These burrs, consequently, may cause irritation and intestinal hair balls in animals. Birds will die if their feathers get entangled with the burrs of Burdocks because it will not be possible for them to break free of these plants on their own.
The larvae of ghost moths feed on burdock roots while other Lepidopterae like Lime-speck Pugs, Brown-tails, and Scalloped Hazels feast on the Burdock plant itself.
Alternative Names for Burdock Root include Arctium, Bardana, Bardane, Beggar’s Buttons, Burr Seed, Clot Burr, Cockle Buttons, Edible Burdock, Gobo, Fox’s Clote, Great Bur, Happy Major, Love Leaves and Thorny Burr.
For thousands of years, burdock root has been valued for its many medicinal uses including purifying the blood and stimulating detoxification of the lymphatic system. Reports of the medicinal use of burdock root to treat ailments and chronic diseases like disease, blood disorders and AIDS have been reported.
Health Benefits of Burdock Root
- Burdock root and dried seeds contain antioxidants and other substances which help prevent diseases and promote health.
- It has 308 mg of electrolyte potassium, an important element for body fluids and cells as it helps in regulating blood pressure and heart rate.
- Burdock roots are low in calories. They may act as laxatives when included in non-starch polysaccharides.
- They may also act as prebiotics which aid in reducing blood sugar and cholesterol levels and in losing weight.
- The roots have vital vitamin contents such as folic acid, niacin, zinc, magnesium, vitamin C, and vitamin E. Vitamins C and E are powerful antioxidants that are useful in treating disease, neurological conditions, and infections.
- Burdocks also contain diuretic properties.
- Burdock plants may treat skin problems including acne, eczema, dermatitis, skin dryness, and psoriasis.
- Has benefits for the hair
- An aphrodisiac that enhances sexual desire and libido in both men and women
- Burdock root is traditionally used in conjunction with red clover, yellow dock and dandelion.
- Verified organic by quality assurance international
- 1 Pound Bulk Bag
- Cut and sifted; Non-Irradiated; Botanical name: Arctium lappa
- Certified Organic, Kosher Certified
- Pure, fresh, organic Gobo root
- This pure, whole, organic Burdock root is grown in rich soil and is valued in many cultures for its safety and effectiveness.
- NO artificial flavors, colors, excipients or stearates
Burdock root is used in Japanese cuisine. The vital vitamin and natural dietary fiber contents of this root carry its main benefit. The root certainly promotes heath and prevents the onset of different ailments.
Its insulin contents, on the other hand, promote proper digestion and weight loss and help in the fight against blood disorders. This herbal remedy can also fuel the growth of good bacteria.
Burdock roots are generally safe to consume. You may eat them raw or boil them and then drink the extract as a tea or make a tincture. You may also include them in your soup or in any meal. They are cheaper than most multi-vitamins pills available in the market, yet they may provide a similar range of benefits as some over-the-counter medicines without the side effects. You might also find the herbal supplement in the form of tea, oil or dried extract powders.
I’m currently working on an update for this article where I’ll show you how to make a burdock root tea.I personally get almost all of my herbs from Lost Empire Herbs. Their sourcing is the best in the business and many of their herbs are grown in the USA. Click here to learn about their patented Full-Spectrum Extraction process and get 15% off your first order! Tip: Be sure to sign up for their newsletter at the top. NEW COUPON CODE: URBOL