Chinese herbal energy supplements are among the most popular ones used by practitioners of alternative medicine. There are a wide range of these herbal remedies available, and this article will discuss four of the most commonly-used ones.
Ginseng. Chinese ginseng (Panax ginseng) was first discovered in the mountains of Manchuria and was prized for its reported rejuvenating powers. The name comes from the Chinese word ‘renshen’ (man root), because the plant’s roots resemble a human body. It is the roots of the plant that is used for medicinal purposes.
The reported benefits of ginseng include:
- Helps to boost energy and reduce fatigue. Ginseng may help to stimulate physical and mental activity among those who are tired.
- Helps to improve the ability to think. Some studies have shown that ginseng may have beneficial effects on cognitive function.
- May help prevent cancer. Taking ginseng regularly may help lower the risk of cancer although this has yet to be formally confirmed.
- May help with erectile dysfunction. Panax ginseng may be effective in relieving the symptoms of this condition.
Astragalus. Like ginseng, it is the roots of the astragalus plant (Astralagus membranaceus) that is used in herbal remedies. It is considered a tonic herb since it is not used to treat specific ailments but used to promote overall health in a tonifying manner.
The benefits of the herb include:
- It is an herbal stimulant. Astralagus is one of the most popular herbal energy supplements when consumed as a tea.
- It helps promote the development of strong muscles. Many athletes in competitive sports combine astalagus with ginseng in herbal tonics.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. Studies have shown that astalagus may help in improving heart health as well as lowering cholesterol.
Shilajit. This medicinal substance is a brownish-black resin that is believed to be the result of decomposition of plants. Some of its benefits include:
- Helping in the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome. Tests have shown that shilajit may help in the production of energy in the body, as well as alleviating anxiety.
- Possible treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Some studies have shown that the fulvic acid in shilajit could block the buildup of tau, a protein that is a marker of neurodegenerative diseases.
Guarana. Derived from the Paullinia cupana plant, gurana is one of most accepted herbal energy supplements that work as an effective stimulant. Gurana seeds have a high concentration of caffeine, and contain twice the amount found in coffee beans. In addition to being a potent stimulant, the other reported benefits of gurana include:
- Helping promote weight loss since gurana is recognized as an appetite suppressant.
- Helping to improve athletic performance since it helps to reduce physical and mental fatigue.
- Helping to treat chronic fatigue syndrome due to its stimulant properties.
- Possibly effective at alleviating low blood pressure as well as preventing dysentery and malaria.
- It may also be effective in enhancing a person’s sex drive.