About the herb: Coptis is a perennial herb that is native to China and to the cooler parts of Asia. It is generally found in boggy damp spots since the herb thrives in soils that are slightly acidic. Relatives of Coptis chinensis can be found in North America and the Himalayas in India. The herb is seen as having anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties.
Alternative names: Yellowroot, Goldenthread and Coptis Chinensis (Latin name)
The health benefits of this herb include:
- Helping reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke. This herb is believed to help alleviate arteriosclerosis (thickening of the arteries) and reduce blood cholesterol levels.
- Helping manage diabetes. Some studies have indicated that it may help lower blood sugar, which would greatly help people living with diabetes manage the disease.
- Helping alleviate PMS. Women can take this herb to help them deal with the stomach cramps that are associated with pre-menstrual syndrome.
- Helping deal with stress. This herb has mild sedative properties, which can help people deal with the mental and physical effects of stress. Those who suffer from insomnia may also benefit since it can help them relax, making it easier for them to get to sleep.
- Helping soothe the digestive system. This herb may be useful in helping people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome as well as preventing diarrhea.
- May be helpful for cancer patients. Some studies have shown that this herb may stop cancer cells from replicating.
- Helping manage wounds. This herb contains tannins, which can staunch blood flow and help wounds heal faster.
Primary benefits: The main benefit of Coptis is seen to be helping to manage diabetes since it contains berberine, which helps lower blood sugar levels. In addition, since it helps stimulate the immune system of the body, it promotes the creation of interferon, a natural substance that has a lot of health benefits. And it has antibacterial and antiviral properties, which makes it valuable in treating a wide variety of ailments.
Conclusion: Coptis herb is available in a wide variety of forms, including tinctures, powders, capsules and ointments, making it easier to take. In addition, it can be applied directly in the form of compresses and poultices. This means that you can use it to treat many ailments. However, before using this herb, you should consult with your doctor or other health professional in order to avoid complications as well as negative interactions with any medicines you may be taking.