Calamus plants are tall and perennial plants that grow in wet lands. Their leaves have strong scents and are used to make perfumes. Their roots, which are used to make medicines, may also serve as substitutes for spices such as cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
Calamus roots, like their leaves, also have strong smells, in addition to having a bitter and pungent taste. The active ingredients found in the roots may have high toxicity, so it is necessary to boil calamus roots first if they are to be eaten.
Alternative Names for Calamus Root
- Sweet Flag
- Flag Root
- Myrtle Root
- Myrtle Grass
- Myrtle Flag
- Bitter Pepper Root
- Pine Root
- Sweet Cane
- Sweet Root
- Rat Root
- Sweet Sedge
- Sweet Cinnamon
- Sweet Rush
Benefits of Calamus Root
- Calamus roots are used for treating gastrointestinal problems such as ulcer, intestinal gas, inflammation in the stomach, anorexia, and upset stomach.
- The herbs may act as sedative or calming medicines that are used in treating stroke and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Chewing calamus root may also heal sore throat associated with colds and influenza.
- Calamus may act as a stimulant which promotes a sense of well-being.
- Calamus is used in treating skin diseases as well.
- These herbs can also be eaten and are even sometimes used as spices.
- They also relieve dyspepsia and heartburn.
- Calamus root helps ease toothaches and curb one’s nicotine craving. Chewing it can help smokers get rid of the smell and taste of tobacco in their mouth.
- Lastly, it is found that some chemical contents of calamus can ease muscle tension and contraction.
Primary Benefits of Calamus Root
Calamus roots are considered as ‘wonder drugs’. Their oil contents are sedative and hypotensive. They can also be used as tranquilizers.
The primary benefits of this herbal remedy are: curing anxiety; acting as laxative and diuretic; and fighting the side effects of hallucinogens such as dizziness and disorientation.
However, the traditional use of calamus is for treating problems with the lungs and the digestive system. In addition, this herbal remedy may also clear congestions and eliminate phlegm. It is also used in treating insomnia, tinnitus, bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, and even amnesia.
You may consume dried calamus roots in different ways. You may grind the roots and add them to smoking blends. Inhale the aroma of these roots to ease your headache.
Calamus roots will also calm your senses, fight off stress, and ease irritation. Furthermore, you have to try calamus root if you want to increase your alertness and focus.