Bupleurum plants are native to East Asia. Their leaves are long and narrow, and their roots are known for their medicinal benefits.
Although only rarely used by Western herbalists, Bupleurum root is considered an important herb in traditional Chinese medicine. It is used as tonic for the liver and the circulatory system. It is more often combined with other herbs such as ginger, peony, ginseng, bitter orange peel, and scutellaria instead of being used on its own.
Bupleurum root is bitter in taste.
Alternative Names for Bupleurum Root
- Bupleurum Exaltatum
- Bupleurum Chinese or Chinese Bupleurum
- Bupleurum Falcatum
- Bupleurum Multinerve
- Bupleurum Longifolium
- Chai Hu
- Chi Hu
- Chinese Thoroughwax
- Hare’s Ear Root
Benefits of Bupleurum Root
- Bupleurum root may treat hepatitis B and prevent hepatocellular carcinoma.
- It is considered as an adjuvant and liver-protecting agent that treats HIV infection.
- Bupleurum roots may also help cure fevers, common cold, cough, flu, headache, and tinnitus or the ringing in the ears.
- The herb helps in treating blood and liver disorders.
- It stimulates the immune system, thus reducing the risk of illness.
- The root is also used in easing digestion problems such as constipation and diarrhea.
- Bupleurum has been helpful to women who suffer from PMS or premenstrual syndrome and dysmenorrhea.
- It can also be of help in treating anorexia.
- This Chinese herbal medicine may ease dizziness or vertigo brought about by Meniere’s disease.
- It may ease tension caused by an excessive exposure to drugs and chemicals as well.
- Moreover, according to some studies, this herb may treat cancer, epilepsy, rheumatism, malaria, high cholesterol, and asthma.
The Primary Benefits of Bupleurum Root
The primary use of Bupleurum root is to ease a tense, restricted liver, the symptoms of which include itching, headaches, irritability, and anger. It may also be associated with other health problems which include emotional issues, infertility, and heart conditions.
In addition, Bupleurum root stimulates the cells in the immune system, enabling them to work more efficiently. It also provides a cooling or anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
When you touch a bupleurum root, you will feel its cooling action for at least an hour. This effect will relieve you of your stress, ease your anger and irritation, and remove any blockage to the energy flow of your body. You may purchase Bupleurum roots in Chinese pharmacies. They are usually in saikosaponin extract form.
Truly, this root is what you need if you’re looking for an herbal remedy with near instantaneous cooling effects.