Your liver is the second largest organ in your body next to the skin. Its natural function is to detoxify your body of the junk that you load it with, which without your liver would make you sick within hours. Needless to say, it is one of the most important parts of the body; if compared to a car, it would be the fuel filter, without it the first time something that didn’t belong in the engine got into the system the whole thing would break down. The liver keeps everything running smoothly by giving a balance to your circulation, digestion and hormones, by regulating fat and cleansing the blood.
Top Herbs To Include In a Liver Detox
These supplements can help cleanse and protect the liver from toxins which could compromise your health:
- Schizandra – As a stage one and two liver cleanser Schizandra both cleanses and protects your liver making it my absolute favorite daily tonic to promote liver health.
- He Shou Wu – Is a classic Chinese herb that boosts Jing and promotes a healthy liver and kidneys. It is also famous for preventing hair greying.
- Milk thistle: helps in blocking toxins because of its strong antioxidant content. It is often taken in capsule form and is taken daily for a long period to aid in repairing a damaged liver.
- Lemons: powerful cleansing product that is not only good for the liver, but also for kidneys, lungs, the gallbladder, and digestive tract. A little warm water and lemon in the morning will rapidly hydrate your body preparing it for a days work.
- Black walnuts: These can be found in either capsule or powder form. Black walnuts can be consumed daily for 30 days to rid the blood and liver of toxins.
- Dandelion tea: Probably one of the most popular herbal teas to support the liver this I definitely recommend either this or Schizandra for people in need of liver support. My personal recommendation is to drink dandelion tea in spring when you can harvest the leaves fresh from outside your home.
The Best Solution Is Prevention
While all the above supplements and herbs are great to use, the best liver detox supplement is prevention, which is only possible by striking balance and harmony in your body. Eating a healthy diet, minimizing alcohol consumption, drinking lots of filtered water and getting seven to eight hours of sleep per night are the best way to a healthy liver.
Consuming large amounts of junk foods and alcohol can cause liver toxicity. These unhealthy substances to get caught in the liver, which can cause it to work very hard. A steady diet of junk will eventually make the liver look like a wet and dirty sponge that needs to be washed out. The liver becomes fatty, blocked, or bloated once it becomes congested since it could no longer filter blood. This could eventually lead to high cholesterol that will put the person’s health in jeopardy.
A person can only survive for a day or two once the liver shuts down. Even then, the liver is an incredible organ that creates new liver tissue even when it is already compromised by 75%!
Liver Detox Home Remedy
Experts such as dieticians and practitioners of Chinese medicine believe that a drastic detox of the liver is not the answer since this is the organ that works hard to rid the body of toxins. The safest and best liver detox supplement is food. Your liver can be cleansed naturally just by not eating toxic foods and instead eating foods with high levels of natural metabolites and low calories like fruit and avoiding fats. This combined with minimal alcohol intake and lots of water can fully detoxify your liver over a 1-2 month period adding potentially years to your life.
Herbal Liver Support
This liver detox process can be greatly improved with the help of some liver detox herbs, I know I keep telling you about Schizandra but it is just the best if you are looking for a high functioning liver. But just because I am telling you about a “secret Chinese herb” doesn’t give you an excuse to avoid your superfoods adding dark green leafy vegetables, mint, ginger, and beetroot into your daily diet are the best way to make sure your liver remains healthy and vibrant.
Stay healthy my friend!