Originating from the Indian subcontinent, Momordica chanrantia or known as bitter melon is a vine which is widely distributed and grown in Carribean, Africa and Asia. This tropical/subtropical vine is commonly used medicinally wherein Momordica’s different parts are processed into brews and teas, tinctures, extracts and juices, powders, and capsule.
Momordica is also called bitter melon or bitter gourd. All throughout the different parts of the world, it is also referred to as ampalaya, balsam apple, karela, kor-kuey, peria, salsamino, sorci and sorossi.
It’s natural bitterness might not be your cup of tea, but you might change your mind once you learn about Momordica’s numerous health benefits.
- Lowers the level of blood sugar in the body.
- Normalizes high blood pressure.
- Lowers cholesterol level of the body.
- Is used for treating diarrhea and fever.
- Cures Psoriasis.
- Treats hyperlipidemia.
- Is used for treating haemorrhoids.
- Is helpful in the treatment of glaucoma.
- Relieves spasmodic pains of the large intestines.
- Is helpful in treating blood disorders.
- Is used to treat respiratory disorders.
- Treats cholera.
- Treats alcoholism.
- Helpful in the elimination if worms and parasites.
- Kills bacteria and viruses; eliminates cancer cells.
- Is used to treat skin fungal infections.
- Can be used to cure malaria, measles and skin problems.
- Enhances libido and improves sexual desires.
- Is characterized with anti-inflammatory effects.
- Cleanses the blood; detoxifies the body.
- Prevents tumors.
- Balances hormones.
- Has immune boosting properties.
Momordica contains three properties: alkaloids, charantin and insulin-like peptides that give the plant its ability to normalize the body’s blood sugar level. Momordica is developed as capsules and powders which are used in treating Diabetes.
Recent studies has shown that the young fruit may have antiviral, antibiotic, and anticancer properties especially for treating Malaria and HIV.
Furthermore, Momordica’s a great help in treating various skin diseases including Psoriasis, a disease that shows red patches on the skin.
Momordica is also capable of eliminating worms and parasites that may infect the body. It also eliminates bacteria, viruses and cancer cells. And finally, it has the ability to cleanse and detoxify the body.
The benefits you might get in using Momordica would certainly make you forget about its bitterness. You will only think of the sweetness of a better future with a better health!